Friday, November 27, 2015

Flakey is for Pie Crusts

(Disclaimer:  for some unknown reason, this is showing up in centered text.  Not my doing.)

Day two of four in a row off.  Yesterday was Thanksgiving.  I love the vibes on Thanksgiving - the happy that is all around; people just being grateful, and knowing there's going to be a lot of yummy food to eat, and that moment you walk into a house that smells so freaking good.

I actually cooked!  My house smelled yummy, too.  Saw a simple recipe on FB and made it in the morning and it was phooty good!  It even looked just like the picture.

Roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash,
butter, cinnamon, pecans and dried cranberries.

Then spent Thanksgiving at Mona & Doug's.  I loaded up the dish, the dogs, picked up Marcia and headed over.  It was terrific.  I haven't had a traditional Thanksgiving meal like that in years.  Turkey, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, and ... wait for it ... brussel sprouts!  It was such a relaxing, delicious, fun, beautiful, comfortable time ... topped off by watching the latest Jurrassic Park on their new super giant hi-def TV.  

And pie.  We paused for pie.  Evidently being chased by dinosaurs make you hungry.  I love pie.  Pumpkin pie.  And pecan pie with chocolate at the bottom.  Vanilla ice cream AND real whipped cream.  Damn. 

Today - after leftover pie for breakfast - I had lunch plans with a guy I met earlier this year.  (Salad, right?)  Nice guy.  Good looking, too.  We've hung out a couple of times this year and had fun.  Earlier this week he suggested lunch today and I said sure thing.  I hadn't heard from him by 11 and texted and said I had made other plans (I was getting hungry); maybe a cuppajo later.  He replied, apologizing, saying he had completely forgotten. 

Hmmm.  Really?  <insert head tilt here>  Well alrighteenthen!  He immediately texted again suggesting we touch base later, that he'd be where I was heading.  Hmmm.  Right.  

Loaded the girls in the truck and headed towards town for my errands.  But wait.  Look.  Highlands Park is completely empty right now.  No soccer games.  No other dogs.  That huge, lush, beautiful green field could be all ours!  Left turn and in we went.  Happy, happy dogs.  Shine on you crazy diamonds!!!

Field of dreams
Did my stuff in Santa Cruz ... dog fud ... a couple of pig ears of course goes without saying ... power cord for the giant TV I got from friends since they got a new one (thank you!) ... threaded my way through the insane Black Friday zombies without a scratch.  Against my better judgment, I texted the guy saying I was in town; coffee?  He replied saying 'maybe another time.'

Hmmm.  Really??  <more pronounced head tilt>  I thought about it and replied.  'Mmmm no.  But thanks for asking.'  And that, my friend, is that.  Flakey is for pie crusts.  


Happy trails!



Besides I have a truck load of fun with me.  Grabbed a latte and some Christmas lights, and started toward home.  Spontaneously added a little hike with the girls in Felton.  Hills!  Sunshine!  Woods!  Views!  Big, flat stumps!












Giving downtown a run for their money



And lights to hang!  Home for that, and to finish hooking up the TV.  OMG it's huge!  I love it!  I watched an episode of Game of Thrones and was dazzled.  No more straining to see a little screen across the room.  I felt like I was in the movie. (Which is all I use the TV for ... movies.  Otherwise, it's blissfully dark and quiet.)

A little popcorn.  And some leftover pie.












It's no downtown Boulder Creek, but it's now a little sparklier, and it's home.  

Charming downtown BC

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment