Friday, January 29, 2016

Foundation is Everything

I had a friend once who said she wasn't leaving her house anymore that weekend because every time she did, it cost her $100.  I laughed.  It's true!  Right?  We go out for one errand with a full wallet, and come back ten errands later with an empty wallet.  Sometimes I successfully avoid this phenomenon by working on my house.  It's a pastime I enjoy - making it comfy and nice. Creating pockets of things I like to look at here and there ...

A 'girl' shelf a friend made for me long ago, finally put to use.


What fur?

I sometimes do this kind of stuff when not trialing.  It keeps me busy, content.  A creative outlet.  Keeping it clean is challenging with my schedule, and more so with aussies in the house.  One trick is keeping the furniture covered so it's fairly easy to de-fur.  The coverings get washed every week.

Jemima was resting in her chair by the window when I asked her to please hold the pillows etc while replacing the couch cover.

But then there's that god awful green carpet.  Besides its general ugliness, it usually started to resemble a green Australian Shepherd about three days after being vacuumed.  I've barely tolerated it for 15 years, but didn't know what was really underneath.






Well, due to happily paying off a debt on payday, I started out last weekend with a really good feeling and a pretty empty wallet.  It was a 3-day weekend, and it rained all 3 days. What to do?  Pull up the carpet.  I'd done the other rooms a while ago, but procrastinated on the the biggest room. Enough.  Just do it.


Devil out!


Besides, I had already started the week before, pulling out just a few feet to get rid of a big stain.  I was happy but skeptical to see the beautiful wood floor beneath.  I knew it was there, but didn't expect it to be in great shape.  I pulled a bit more up through the week, already well beyond committed, eager to see more.

I pulled up a wider strip on Friday.

So far, so good.









Front door area - clear!


Saturday morning.  Coffee & breakfast.  Go.  You're in it now!  Cheap bread knife in hand.  Several feet of rug, out!  Several feet of padding, out!  Deal with the pesky staples later.  I want to see this!

Sections at a time, one 'row' at a time.  The floor underneath proved to be a true beauty.  I sat down and took it in a few times, excited and yet still a bit overwhelmed.  

Took lots of breaks.  Paced myself.  Good girl.








Woodstove, you're next.

I started on my next row.  Staples!  Ffffft!  Onward!

OMG.  Look at it!  What a difference!

There are a few scratches and dings, which is to be expected ... this house is pushing 100 years old.  I don't care about the flaws; they just add to the character of the room.

With the exception of a few pieces of furniture, and with plenty of breaks, I got all of it out by Sunday.

Stoked.






Then it was time to remove the pesky staples.  Hammer, flat head screwdriver, needle nose pliers.  Little by slow until I couldn't t move anymore.  Advil.  Cuppajo.  Get it done. 

Treated it with wood oil, which covered lots of little flaws.  
Thirsty floor.  Yum.  All that work was SO worth it!

We play fetch on this carpet now?

  Enough for that weekend.  The rest comes up this weekend.  
Fortunately, it'll be raining both days and payday is next week. ;)

Even the Buddha looks pleased
 A good foundation is a beautiful thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment