Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May Days

And just where did May go?  It flew through one door and out another this year.  I know that life slows down when I slow down, so there's a hint.

Ten days near the front door were about the bike trip.  And the back door held a 3-day out-of-town ASCA trial.  Two weekends were spent around the house, and that's a good thing after agilitizing every weekend the month before.  That was challenging.

Last weekend's PASA trial was held at Yolo County Fairgrounds again.  It was the last weekend of ASCA's fiscal year, so PASA went big, offering 15 opportunities to qualify for the Finals.  It was hot on Saturday, bloody hot on Sunday, and actually kinda nice on Monday.  Punctuated by tasty burritos, and root beer floats and fruit popsicles.

Jemima got at least 10 more Q's.  Whoop!!  Attagirl!!  And because she's 10, and it was the last trial of ASCA's fiscal year, I planned this as her last full trial running at 16".  She will love jumping lower. I just wasn't expecting the emotions that kept surfacing.  It's an emotional sport anyway, without facing the fact that your long-time partner is slowing down.  But alas, it's time to start her twilight years in agility.  She'll be on a lighter schedule from now until the Finals, and will soon run just in Vets at 12" - a bunny hop for her.  It's a balance - I want to keep her in shape for as long as possible.

Jemima - and her tongue - in the early days, about 2 years old.
Photo by Erika Maurer

I started agility with Jemima.  She's been my steady, solid partner in this game for over 8 years.  Plus 1.5 years of foundation work before that.  Plus all kinds of other fun stuff.  My truest huckleberry.

This little blue girl opened up my world in ways I could never have imagined.








I know, right?  
Vixen did fantastic in 5 of her 6 Regular runs!  She wowed me big time!  I learned early Sunday with my morning coffee that she only needed 1 more Gamblers Q for her ATCH.  We had missed our first 4 opportunities of the trial, so I was a bit anxious going into this last one.  I may have been better off not knowing.  Nope.  No go.  Foiled again!  Drat!!!  Drat drat DRAT!!!  No ATCH.  And therefore maybe no Finals for her this year, unless she gets invited as an alternate.  Time will tell.  But some damn nice Regular runs!




Meanwhile, back at the ranch two days later, Jemima is ready to rumble again.  She was running around the back yard tonight like a wild child, offering her toy.  And after dinner ready for more play, not even ready for bedtime.



Vixen, on the other hand, was worn out.  HAH!!!


And so June walks in the front door ...

No comments:

Post a Comment